Saturday, August 4, 2007

A Life Without Sin

So here's a pretty fascinating concept that I've heard spoken on a few times this past week and I thought worthy of sharing. It has got me thinking a lot and has given me an amazing amount of hope and joy that I hope to share.

So let me start off in the beginning, or moreover in our beginning.

From birth we have been sinners. Scripturally were told that as humans we are inherently evil; that is, it is in our very nature to sin and therefor be sinner.

Many non-believers who hate the idea that we are all naturally evil tend to argue that this is a false idea and that we are all naturally good people (corrupted by our upbringing or surroundings).

Eventually though, simply by watching the world around us, I believe we are all forced to recognize the sin that dwells in all of us from birth. This is echoed in the fact that no father or mother ever teaches their child to hit, steal and lie and yet they do. It is in their very nature to.

Romans 3:23 makes this fact rather clear when it states “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...”

But now we are told of something new, given to us at the alter by the death of Christ.

This gift is a gift of strength and authority over sin.

2 Peter 1:3-10 says this “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

These three parts add up to this: if we, believers in Christ Jesus our Lord, walk FULLY in step with the Holy Spirit we can live a life WITHOUT any sin.

Now that doesn't mean there will be no temptation, it simply means we are now given enough strength to conquer our temptation.

We are given even more support to this idea in 1 Corinthians 10:13 when it says “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

Basically the idea that was put forth to me and has challenged and given me great hope is the fact that now as a believer in Jesus Christ the risen Lord, I can live my life without sin. Now I am not saying I do, not remotely, only that God has given me the authority to conquer sin and finish my life without any.

Marinate in that and remember it next time you are tempted.

3 comments:

Muetteronomy said...

Hey Hey! Yes I do have your jacket at home. I waited to see if you'd come back to the church, but I didn't see you. So I just took it because I didn't want to just leave it there. Hope that's ok. Is it cool if I get it to you when I get back?

The Ton Face said...

Ha Ha Ha... who's the loser now??? Just kidding, glad to see that you have joined the club.

The Ton Face said...

Hold on now, you changed this post, now it just looks like I'm being a jerk on a super spiritual thought.